Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring (and my brother's B-day)!

Gathering - Apples - original fabric on wood piece that sold right away (to one of my favorite ladies). Here she is sitting pretty on the georgous moss in my front yard. Prints are available in the shop now.
Well it is the first day of Spring and my brother's 34th birthday. It is strange to that my brother is younger then my hubby by like a year and a half. He is my big brother and he always will be and it is just strange for me to think of that.
It is also Friday and I am looking forward to a weekend with the family (my husband and London) home and working on the garden. We plan on ordering our dump truck of really good dirt next week, so this weekend the frame will be built. We have scratched the original spot we were going to put the garden due to the lack of full sun. And in true yard fashion (and just like the last house) we will be putting our garden smack in the middle of the front yard. I can't wait. My herb garden made it through the winter and I have been using my herbs to cook with as usual. So fantastic to be able to use them all year round! I love being able to grow things!


Here are a few things I have cooked up the past 2 nights...yummm!


Plantains are a favorite of mine and who new that a ripe plantain fried lightly in a little canola oil at home is better then almost any resturant I have had them in (close 2nd to The Sugar Shack in Ocean Isle)
Orange Ginger Chicken
2-4 chicken breast
2 cups of Orange Juice
Nub of Ginger (shredded with a cheese shredder)
2 cloves of Garlic (shredded)
Dash of salt and pepper
Maridnade the chicken for at least 20 mins in all the ingredients then chop up and saute. Serve with Fried plantains and Jasmine rice...excellent dinner! (and simple)


This was my experimental Meatloaf and wow was is tasty!
Cranberry Turkey Loaf
1 lb of lean Ground Turkey meat
1/2 can of cranberry sauce (with whole cranberries)
2 cloves of garlic finely minced
1 egg
3 pieces of honey wheat bread chopped
zest of one orange
nub of ginger shredded
handful of fresh sage chopped
Dash of sea salt and pepper
Mix it all up and put it in a lightly greased bread pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-55 min. Served with garlic smashed potoatoes, remainder of cranberry sauce and green beans.
It turned out so moist and yummy, we will be making this one again for sure.







My little artist. We spent several hours outside yesterday making puddles and drawing in them with chalk. I ordered a toddler water table for him last night and I am sure it will be many more hours of entertainment when it gets here. We are ready for summer and afternoons at the pool. Won't it be so fun this year now that he is a little bigger and a little more independant. Well we are off to play outside and enjoy today's sunshine :)



Spring is here...Yay!


3 comments:

aleisethefunny said...

I love that art piece up at the top!!!

Unknown said...

oh, plantains............. they are one of the loves of my life. you could bribe me to do anything with plantains and apple butter. YUM!

shellieartist said...

thank you aleise...she sold that day but I have her in 8.5 x 11 prints now and she still looks bright and cheery! :)
Jess, do you eat the plantains with apple butter or do you just love apple butter as much as plantains? Either way both are such a treat. hee hee